Sirens blared and white strobe lights emerged from the factory down the block. The TV aired an emergency broadcast. “An experiment gone wrong,” was all I heard before venturing outside and into the chaotic streets. People were falling left and right and no one knew why. A woman on the phone with police yelled, “It’s a rat! It’s spreading a parasite! How can those scientists let this happen? All the damage they’re causing is outrageous! They’ll be getting a call from my lawyer tomorrow!” All of a sudden there was a burning pinch at my ankle. I went cold.
–By Molly Jackson, Class of 2021