Experiment Gone Wrong

Sirens blared and white strobe lights emerged from the factory down the block. The TV aired an emergency broadcast. “An experiment gone wrong,” was all I heard before venturing outside and into the chaotic streets. People were falling left and right and no one knew why. A woman on the phone with police yelled, “It’s a rat! It’s spreading a parasite! How can those scientists let this happen? All the damage they’re causing is outrageous! They’ll be getting a call from my lawyer tomorrow!” All of a sudden there was a burning pinch at my ankle. I went cold.

–By Molly Jackson, Class of 2021

I’m John, I’m probably dead now

My name is John. I’m short and 38. The disease broke out roughly two weeks ago and everyone’s becoming corpses. Apparently the rats are the catalysts. They have black fur, big claws, and bloodshot eyes. I found an apartment building yesterday. I’ve taken shelter there, but one thing happened. This morning when I woke up, I noticed that I had cuts and scratches all over my legs. I’m pretty sure it was the rats. I’ll probably die soon, so I want to give you some tips. Sleep with one eye open and kill every single one of those lousy rats.

By Dean Fort, Class of 2023